Public Health Advocates (PHAdvocates) brings a health and equity lens to some of the most important issues of our day. We have two decades of successful state and local campaign experience focusing on prevention and challenging the social, political, and economic systems that perpetuate racial, economic and health disparities. Over the past 20 years, PHAdvocates has helped 200 California cities enact more than 600 local policies. At the state level, we led the campaigns to get soda and junk food out of public schools, fund elementary school physical education, require that restaurants put calorie information on their menus, and fund statewide diabetes prevention.
PHAdvocates seeks a dynamic community outreach professional to support our Racial Health Equity project who can build upon the current successes of our advocacy work in Stockton to forge a path forward for Public Health Advocates in all of San Joaquin County (SJC).
The Racial Health Equity Project is funded by the Office of Minority Health. The project serves people of color in San Joaquin County with an emphasis on those living in the ten unhealthiest census tracts. The primary goal is to identify and establish long-term policy solutions to the challenges faced in these areas. Our Stockton staff pride themselves on building authentic and impactful relationships and partnerships with residents in SJC which has been proven to have a positive influence in the quality of work and commitment to change.
The Community Outreach Specialist is responsible for engaging and recruiting community members, coalition building, and assisting with the communication and evaluation plans. The Community Outreach Specialist reports to the Program Manager and will assist the Program Manager in meeting program deliverables.
- Implementation: Assist in developing training materials, policy education, presentation slides and other tools to enable successful engagement and education
- Facilitation: Assist with organizing and facilitating policy trainings for youth advocates
- Coalition Building: Support the Program Manager in recruiting, training, and engaging members of the Community Coalition and Neighborhood Champions. Participate in collaborative meetings to advance the project deliverables
- Calendar and Meetings: Keep Outlook calendar up to date with work schedule and program activities
- Reporting and Documentation: Track all outreach activities; maintain contact lists; and properly archive campaign materials such as policy documents, support letters/cards, presentations, toolkits, etc.
- Outreach: Host and participate in community outreach events, conduct program presentations, and disseminate program materials to faith-based organizations, community-based organizations, and community members
- Evaluation: Support the evaluation of grant measures and outcomes by collecting relevant data, tracking progress, and contributing to monthly reports
- Moving and Lifting: Moving small office equipment such as boxes, projector screens, canopies, portable tables, etc.
- Program Support: Other duties as assigned
- Dedication to community service, social justice, civic engagement, and leadership development
- B.A/B.S. preferred
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred
- 2+ years of community organizing and/or outreach experience
- Prior non-profit experience a plus
- Must have reliable transportation
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrates proactive willingness to collaborate in teams and execute coordination
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, Google Workspace, OneDrive, online databases, & uploading web content
- Able to prioritize tasks in a fast paced and independent environment
- Able to interact with and positively engage people of various social, ethnic, cultural, linguistic, religious, economic, and educational backgrounds
- Familiarity with facilitation on Zoom and other virtual platforms is strongly encouraged
- This is a full-time non-exempt position
- Compensation is $20-25 per hour based on relevant experience
- Must be willing to work evening and weekend hours as needed
- Must reside in San Joaquin County
- Position available immediately
Submit cover letter and resume electronically to Sergio Zepeda, Director of Human Resources: SZ@PHAdvocates.org.
Public Health Advocates provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetics.